Monday, January 26, 2009

The motivation.

My friends, Lee and Marsha, are getting married on July 18, 2009. Because I've had some success with making desserts (cookies, tarts, pies, puddings, etc), on Turkey Day in 2008 they asked me if I could make their wedding cake in lieu of a standard wedding gift (because they don't actually need those). They were a bit surprised when I asked to handle the desserts in general, but leave the enormous feat of wedding cakeness to someone who is capable of making edible cakes.

Oh yes, I have made inedible cakes. They are my Achilles' heel of baking. They are tricksy. Sure they look ok, but are inedible. (Except for pound cake. Check out my favorite Peach Pound Cake recipe.)

But you know, this could be the opportunity I'm looking for to immerse myself in learning to make cakes...

After a few practice sessions with making marshmallow fondant, using marshmallow fondant, making a few different cake recipes, and attempting some amazing buttercreams, I only screwed up some of it, and nothing was actually inedible. Now I've agreed to do it!

I will conquer the cake!

2 comments:

  1. Testing how to post a comment for the previously unblogful people who I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooooo need to apologize for falling off the Dessert Crew bandwagon (or maybe never really getting on). The desserts look amazing and I look forward to meeting the crew at the wedding. Again, I apologize. :( Best,Kathy Stoker

    ReplyDelete